Women can suffer from hair loss much in the same way as men. Although the causes for female hair loss can vary greatly.
Hair loss in women can be either temporary or permanent.
Permanent Female pattern hair loss can be similar to male pattern hair loss with a slightly different pattern. Hair loss occurs when the hair follicle gradually shrinks which results in shorter and finer hair. The pattern of thinning is different to male pattern baldness:
- The hair gets thinner and finer on the crown (top) of the scalp and begins to widen through the centre hair part.
- The hairline is not affected, except for normal recession, which happens to everyone as they age.
- The hair loss does not result in almost or total baldness, as it does in men.
Temporary hair loss can be due to many causes, some of which are:
- Untreated hypothyroidism
- Vitamin deficiency
- Lack of sleep
Female Pattern Baldness
Traction alopecia is another type of female hair loss. This is when the hair is constantly under tensions and being pulled in the same areas on the scalp. This is most often caused by hairstyling, for example, frequent tight braiding, tight high ponytails and most commonly hair extensions.
Trichotillomania is classed as an obsessive-compulsive disorder, in which the sufferer cannot control the urge to pull, pluck or twist their hair. The areas from which hair is most commonly pulled are the eyebrows, eyelashes and the scalp, the result can be permanent if the hair loss if not treated.
Hair Loss In Women
Dr Max Malik – Hair Restoration Surgeon – Elate Health
Elate Health’s Patient Promise
1. At Elate, we pride ourselves on ethical medical: we promise to always give you a detailed, honest appraisal and consultation. If a treatment is not suitable for you, we will inform you and advise you accordingly.
2. At Elate, we will always provide a psychological assessment with every treatment: we promise our priority will always be your psychological and physical wellbeing.
3. Elate will always put your needs first: we understand how important this journey is for you, we will support you at every step. Your journey does not end with your treatment plan; we will continue to help you should you need it. Follow up consultations that relate to the initial treatment will remain free of charge.
4. Elate promises to always show discretion, respect and complete confidentiality in every aspect of your experience: your journey with Elate should be positive and support focused. We will always treat you as an individual with personal needs and never as a number.
5. Elate will always use the highest quality products: we realise that the saying: ‘you get what you pay for’, particularly applies to us and therefore, we promise to ensure all our products are sourced from ethical, British pharmacies who are quality assured. We will never compromise on the quality of our products to save on expense and we guarantee that we will only ever use the very best manufacturers in the world.
6. Elate will always seek the best options for you: we aim to provide a complete service to make you feel and look the best you can be. Therefore, if one of our medical specialists feels it is appropriate, we are more than happy to refer you on to another outstanding expert.
7. Elate’s Personalised Service: at Elate, Dr Max Malik, our Medical Director, has brought together over 20 years of medical experience to create a unique system of Aesthetic Medicine, Aesthetic Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. Dr Max Malik performs all advanced aesthetic procedures personally. These are delivered with a passion that is unequalled. The treatments will always be personalised to you so that we can achieve excellent results. We always aim to improve your self-confidence and so help you live your life to its fullest potential.