What is FUT?
The Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is a hair rejuvenation method where a hair is transplanted in its naturally occurring group of 1-4 hairs, these are called follicular units. A follicular unit contains sebaceous glands, nerves, small muscles and fine hairs. This method allows the surgeon to transplant thousands of grafts in a single session, which will enhance the cosmetic appearance of the procedure.
How is FUT performed?
A single strip of hair is removed from the back of the scalp. This strip is then put under stereo-microscopic dissection, which will allow the follicular units to be removed from the strip without damage. These units are then strategically placed around the scalp, into the affected balding areas, once the surgeon has made tiny incisions.
Advantages and disadvantages
- It is considered a more advanced method than other hair restoration procedures that use large grafts, which will produce a more plugged, unnatural look.
- If the procedure is performed correctly the transplanted hair will blend in with the natural hair and should be undetectable to the human eye.
- A small scar may result over the donor site where the strip of hair was removed from the back of the scalp. However, in most people who wear their hair more than a few millimetres long, this is not usually visible.
- The recovery period is around one to two weeks as this method requires stitches or staples to be removed from the donor site.
Before & After Photos
FUT: The Anaesthetic Process
Elate Health’s Patient Promise
1. At Elate, we pride ourselves on ethical medical: we promise to always give you a detailed, honest appraisal and consultation. If a treatment is not suitable for you, we will inform you and advise you accordingly.
2. At Elate, we will always provide a psychological assessment with every treatment: we promise our priority will always be your psychological and physical wellbeing.
3. Elate will always put your needs first: we understand how important this journey is for you, we will support you at every step. Your journey does not end with your treatment plan; we will continue to help you should you need it. Follow up consultations that relate to the initial treatment will remain free of charge.
4. Elate promises to always show discretion, respect and complete confidentiality in every aspect of your experience: your journey with Elate should be positive and support focused. We will always treat you as an individual with personal needs and never as a number.
5. Elate will always use the highest quality products: we realise that the saying: ‘you get what you pay for’, particularly applies to us and therefore, we promise to ensure all our products are sourced from ethical, British pharmacies who are quality assured. We will never compromise on the quality of our products to save on expense and we guarantee that we will only ever use the very best manufacturers in the world.
6. Elate will always seek the best options for you: we aim to provide a complete service to make you feel and look the best you can be. Therefore, if one of our medical specialists feels it is appropriate, we are more than happy to refer you on to another outstanding expert.
7. Elate’s Personalised Service: at Elate, Dr Max Malik, our Medical Director, has brought together over 20 years of medical experience to create a unique system of Aesthetic Medicine, Aesthetic Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. Dr Max Malik performs all advanced aesthetic procedures personally. These are delivered with a passion that is unequalled. The treatments will always be personalised to you so that we can achieve excellent results. We always aim to improve your self-confidence and so help you live your life to its fullest potential.
The information provided is based on the average patient experience. The final treatment plan, results, expectations and experiences will vary from patient to patient. All treatment at Elate Health is subject to a thorough consultation. Many before and after images are courtesy of the manufacturers.